Quantum Corp. announced two new solutions that bring data deduplication and disaster recovery solutions to small businesses at an affordable price. The Quantum NDX-8 NAS appliance delivers 8 TB of NAS storage with built-in backup software and deduplication technology, enabling businesses to reduce storage requirements by up to 90 percent and significantly reduce network traffic.
Quantum also announced the RDX 8000 removable disk library with 8 TB of capacity. For offsite disaster recovery protection, the NDX can replicate data to a second NDX appliance or move data offsite with the RDX 8000. Both products are also forward compatible with future cloud backup services. Customers benefit by having a single vendor in Quantum that provides all hardware, software and support for the entire backup and disaster recovery solution set.
"Customers tell us that data protection for small businesses and workgroups is overly complex," said Rob Clark, senior vice president, Disk and Tape Data Protection Group, Quantum. "Quantum's new NDX appliances and RDX libraries provide a total data protection solution that is affordable to implement and simple to use. Along with our DXi deduplication systems, this expansion of our portfolio enables us to offer best-in-class disk-based technology solutions that address an even broader range of customer data protection needs."
NDX-8d for Entry-Level Deduplication Data Protection
- 75 Percent Less Expensive, Less Complicated with Integrated Hardware and Software: The NDX-8d comes preconfigured with Quantum Datastor Shield that provides agentless client backup, meaning that there is no software to install on the clients being protected. In addition, customers save up to 75 percent in costs compared to traditional backup software licensing and support options.
- Up to 90 Percent Reduction in Backup-Related Network Traffic and Data Stored: Network bottlenecks are reduced and data growth is controlled because data is deduplicated on the client, sending only changed data over the network at up to 20:1 deduplication rates - enabling more data to be stored quicker, for longer, at lower cost.
- Deduplicated Replication: Disaster recovery data is also deduplicated, allowing customers to replicate to a second NDX-8d or to copy to removable RDX media, providing customers with flexible disaster recovery options.
- Primary Storage with Twice the Processing Power and RAM: Quantum also offers the NDX-8 without deduplication technology. Incorporating best-in-class components, such as the Intel Core i3 3.3 GHz processor and 4 GB RAM, it is ideal for primary storage, with twice the performance and memory of competitive NAS products.
- Flexibility for Small Business Environments: Leveraging the Windows Storage Server operating system, the NDX series enables customers to install Windows-based applications like Microsoft Exchange directly on it, which is not possible with Linux-based NAS devices. In addition, the NDX-8 and NDX-8d integrate seamlessly and create a cost-effective, easy-to-use disk-to-disk solution.
RDX 8000 Removable Disk Library
- Backup and Disaster Recovery in One System: The Quantum RDX 8000 is an 8-slot RDX cartridge disk library that combines the advantages of disk with the removability characteristics of tape, enabling customers to take data offline and offsite. The library can be used in conjunction with an NDX appliance for offsite backup, or on its own as a complete data protection and disaster recovery solution.
- Two-thirds Reduction in Cartridge Use: The RDX 8000 is available with Quantum Datastor Shield deduplication software. Compared to tape or non-deduplicated disk, customers use approximately 2/3 fewer cartridges with Quantum Datastor Shield, while reducing network backup traffic and protecting more data for a longer period.
- Unmatched Scalability and Investment Protection: Compatible with all RDX cartridges available today - with capacity from 160 GB to 1 TB - the RDX 8000 enables customers to size the system to meet their needs using different capacities in different slots. It supports up to 8 TB of native capacity (eight 1 TB cartridges) and provides forward compatibility with future capacities. In 2012, a 1.5 TB RDX cartridge is expected to ship, which will increase the maximum capacity of the RDX 8000 by 50 percent to 12 TB.
Product Availability and Pricing
List price for the Quantum NDX-8d appliance with data deduplication is $5,139, and $4,029 without it. The RDX 8000 with data deduplication is $4,999, and $3,889 without it. NDX appliances come in either tower or 1U rack configurations, and both product lines are available from Quantum's worldwide resellers and distribution channels.
Now, more than ever, customers are putting a priority on protecting and retaining their valuable information. Yet with growing volumes of data, stricter compliance regulations, and shrinking budgets, preserving it is becoming more of a challenge. The answer? Comprehensive solutions ... Read more »